Fire! Fire! Fire!

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Well this morning we had a bit of a scare. The tenants that live below us apartment caught on fire in a fairly big way. I guess one of them fell asleep while smoking, with a toddler in the room no less. Ok here's my story.

I was having a very late night. In fact I never bothered to go to bed. I was in a limbo state of being tired & being too sore to sleep. Around 6 this morning I started to smell smoke. I honestly didn't think anything of it at the time. Between the all night bar-b-ques', the cigarettes, pot and drunks being able to burn water its a fairly normal accurance around here. However, after about 10 minutes the smoke was overpowering. I went on the balcony to see who it was. Coming out of the bedroom window smoke was just starting to pour out. I noticed flames behind the curtains and ran to wake Mindy. I let her know the place was on fire and I ran downstairs to wake them.

As I was pounding on their door both fire alarms went off. The main one that is for everyone and the one(s) in their place. I was surprise that is took so long to go off. Especially the one in their place. Hell one of their alarms didn't go off till after the dam thing was put out.

Finally, I heard the woman scream to her partner "oh my god fire". The toddler was startled and the man bolted of the couch(they must had another drunken spat) stark naked and answered the door. I wasn't quite expecting that but getting dressed would be the last thing I'd be thinking about too. Then he sort of came to from the sleep and smashed the case for the fire extinguisher. Why I didn't do that I don't know. I was more concerned about waking them up I guess.

The gentleman next door to him grab his extinguisher too. Then we headed in. Come to think of it why did I go in? The smoke was thick and dark grey. It was like trying to look through a dirty cement wall. The mattress was where it originated from. The ember from the cigarette must have smoldered for quite awhile. I am really quite astonished the woman & child did not overcome to smoke inhalation. It quite easily could have been deadly.

I ended going upstairs to grab another extinguisher and using that to douse the remaining flames. By the time the fire department came it was out. It caused quite of bit of damage to the bedroom. Luckily for us there doesn't appear to be much ceiling damage other than needing a couple of coats of paint.

I still don't understand what exactly happened. The occupants were making a point to tell anyone & everyone that they wouldn't smoke in bed or smoke in the apartment because of the child. Personally that is bullshit. They always smoke in the apartment. I know they were drinking last night(and 5 minutes after we got it put out he cracked open another). I've brought a couple of complaints to the manager in regards to them being irresponsible with fire. I glad there safe but I really they are evicted. If not, then us moving is probably going to be a certainty.

The worst thing was that after literally the entire building came to their aid they never said thanks. Not so much as an appreciative nod. Realize that you could have died without your neighbours....Idiots.

For a few minutes I really thought we were going to lose everything. Mindy & Jewel(the cat) were safe. Everything else means nothing in comparison.


Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
-Anton Chekhov

Stay Safe!



Post a Comment

Medical terminology can cause confusion at the best of times. If there is a word you do not understand all you have to do is double-click on it and the definition will appear! Don't forget to drop me a line by email at with your comments, questions‚ recommended resources‚ concerns‚ & especially your experiences with clusters. Or come find me on my Facebook Profile to add me as a Friend. Whether you are a supporter‚ care-giver or sufferer. I would love to hear from you!

*Please do not use this information for self diagnoses. Writing about my experiences with chronic cluster headaches & epilepsy is a good outlet for me. Consult your Dr. with any kind of headache or chronic pain you may have. The 3rd party links on my site I have found to be a good resource to me over the past few years & dearly hope they will benefit you as well.*

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?