An Unexpected Friend

Saturday, January 08, 2005


After a long night of being slapped repeatedly with a flying forearm to the chest from Mindy, who by the way says I'm the one who hogs the bed & steals the covers;). We both woke up rather early even though her classes were cancelled due to the snow. I know the rest of Canada is laughing at us on how so little snow can shut the entire city down. All I can say is 'I'd rather live here!:)'.

Anyways I did my morning ritual of laying out the food for the squirrels & birds. They eat right off the balcony now without fear. In the case of the squirrels they will take the peanuts directly from our hands. Sometimes they don't wait for us to open the door. They literally climb the walls.

We did have a little surprise this morning. On our patio couch lay an injured sparrow. We didn't know if it was dead or not initially. Thankfully the bird was stunned from a fight I'm guessing. One of its wings was bleeding & had an eye swollen shut. The wing doesn't appear to be broken, just cut. After its first flight we noticed one of its legs is broken:( We decided it would be best to move it indoors out of the way of other animals who would take advantage of its weaken state. So we found a small box & lined the inside with tissue paper. I couldn't figure out how to get the sparrow into the box without causing the animal further pain. I did find a marvelous tool, a pancake flipper. Matched his size perfectly.

From then on he sat quite contently in a box lined with tissue, a capful of water & a tiny pile of birdseed. His alertness kept increasing till just now when he decided to give flying another shot. Not a strong enough to fly any distance but far enough to put him back outside. He now is parked outside in the corner of our sliding door. We left the box there for him for his own personal supply of food & water. I hope he does ok. One of those heart-warming tragic experiences nature offers.

Paul

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Medical terminology can cause confusion at the best of times. If there is a word you do not understand all you have to do is double-click on it and the definition will appear! Don't forget to drop me a line by email at versilleus@gmail.com with your comments, questions‚ recommended resources‚ concerns‚ & especially your experiences with clusters. Or come find me on my Facebook Profile to add me as a Friend. Whether you are a supporter‚ care-giver or sufferer. I would love to hear from you!

*Please do not use this information for self diagnoses. Writing about my experiences with chronic cluster headaches & epilepsy is a good outlet for me. Consult your Dr. with any kind of headache or chronic pain you may have. The 3rd party links on my site I have found to be a good resource to me over the past few years & dearly hope they will benefit you as well.*


[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?