ER Visits from Adverse Interactions

Friday, October 20, 2006


LiveScience has an interesting article about the severity of drug interactions.
"Harmful reactions to some of the most widely used medicines ─ from insulin to a common antibiotic ─ sent more than 700,000 Americans to emergency rooms each year... Not too sure what the number is here in Canada but I will have a look around and see what I can come up with. Link.

Being a 'need a pill for everything society' this is not overly surprising. It is just a shame how preventable some of these case can be. Adverse reactions have become a far too common(and dangerous) occurrence. Interactions between medications - prescribed, over-the counter or otherwise can lead to permanent damage and even death. Supplements can be dangerous as well. Since a great deal of our medications in general come from or at least based on nature the effects can cause one of the meds to amplify intensity. 1+1 can equal 3 with medicine interactions. Please let your doctor and pharmacist know EVERYTHING you take. It could just save your live.

I did have one experience with the herbal supplement Coenzyme Q-10 and the Beta-blocker, Propranolol(Inderal). Basically the Q10 amplified the Propranolol causing severe bouts of dizziness, excessive fatigue and low blood pressure. The worst part(s) about the whole ordeal was 1. My doctor recommended it and 2. Afterward mentioning the problems he told that Q10 CAN interact with the beta-blocker. If I had to go to the emergency would he have come in to say "oops, my mistake"? I guess it is the fact that the information is out there yet he could be bothered to tell the patient is what irks me the most. Oh well all is better. Be careful out there.

Now here is an article from the 'just how dumb the school systems have become' department about an elementary school south of Boston who actually took it upon themselves to ban the game 'tag'! Screw the important things like improving a child's learning abilities but having that game of tag banned is at the top of the list! Mix priorities anyone? That was one my favourite past times at lunch and recess. According to School Principal Gaylene Heppe "Recess is a time when accidents can happen". Now can anyone think of a time of the day when accidents can't happened? Hmm maybe it isn't fast food and video games making kids fat. Link At the bottom the article there is a related article called "Doctors urge more playtime for children". What a mess up world we live in.

Paul
Humor is reason gone mad.
-Groucho Marx

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Medical terminology can cause confusion at the best of times. If there is a word you do not understand all you have to do is double-click on it and the definition will appear! Don't forget to drop me a line by email at versilleus@gmail.com with your comments, questions‚ recommended resources‚ concerns‚ & especially your experiences with clusters. Or come find me on my Facebook Profile to add me as a Friend. Whether you are a supporter‚ care-giver or sufferer. I would love to hear from you!

*Please do not use this information for self diagnoses. Writing about my experiences with chronic cluster headaches & epilepsy is a good outlet for me. Consult your Dr. with any kind of headache or chronic pain you may have. The 3rd party links on my site I have found to be a good resource to me over the past few years & dearly hope they will benefit you as well.*


[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?