Neurontin / Gabapentin lawsuit Back in Court

Wednesday, February 24, 2010


CBC News reports that Pfizer, the makers of the anti-seizure prescription medication Neurontin, generic name Gabapentin, were in a Boston courthouse this past Monday(Feb 22) to defend itself against a civil lawsuit. The article states that "... a group of claimants says Pfizer misrepresented the drugs as a painkiller and understated its risks."
According to Dr. Harry Pollett of North Sydney, Nova Scotia, "The drug may help one in four or five people who take it for chronic pain, but it often causes severe weight gain and grogginess..."
"It's a so-so drug that can be very helpful in some cases, but it's not all that helpful in a lot of cases," Pollett said.

The claimants are seeking 4 billion US.

Here is another article from BusinessWeek entitled
"Pfizer Faces Class Action in Canada Over Neurontin".

My personal experience with this medication has been, for the most part, quite positive. The drug has not lowered the frequency or severity of the attacks. Why am I on it then? Before Gabapentin, the continuous cluster cycles made my body feel very over stimulated. Just putting on a shirt felt like the fabric was coated with tiny rusted razorblades. Light sources as dull as a small candle required a pair of very dark sunglasses just to be in the same room. It got to the point where wearing sunglasses indoors was a regular occurrence. Eye plugs & some secondary cover to go over top were essential if a place was not dead silent. Currently, despite still being photo & phono sensitive, Neurontin has lowered the light & sound threshold. However, with that being said, I can't increase the dosage because of the extreme grogginess. I'm not even close to the lower end of the recommended therapeutic dosage. The sensitivity is much easier to deal with. If only I could get the side effect of weight gain. Not a lot. Just a few extra kilograms would be absolutely brilliant. But it is only one piece of the puzzle to fight chronic pain.

Paul

“There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow”
-Orison Swett Marden

Labels: , ,


4 comments

4 Comments:

When my sister first visited me after I started the Gabapentin, she told our mother I "Seemed better, but a little stupid."

It's so hard to tell with so many medications and so many life variables! What is helping? What is hurting? What is a side-effect of the medication and what is the migraine/disease itself?

It's nice to know other people have similar experiences; otherwise you begin to think migraine is "all in your head."

By Blogger Annabell, at 8 March 2010 at 12:55  

I am on the autistic spectrum and also I have had numerous accidents that have left me pretty disabled. One of which left me with a very low metabolism and feeling like that turtle on bugs bunny. Well gabapentin/neurontin almost completely cured that. I cant believe they are taking this to court on the basis of a few issues that the lawyers latched onto to prove their case. I have heard so many success storys with this drug and the only bad I have heard have been online. I cant believe they are messing with this.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22 April 2010 at 09:05  

That is good.Why should there be any wrong medication today with the improvement in medical science and technology if the patient has to suffer for irregular medication that is a shame of the current times and system.

By Anonymous sinus surgery Los Angeles, at 21 December 2010 at 09:20  

I had seizures with this medication as an allergic reaction. It has been four years and now im being treated for the seizures. Franchesca Stannard

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1 August 2012 at 22:14  

Post a Comment

Medical terminology can cause confusion at the best of times. If there is a word you do not understand all you have to do is double-click on it and the definition will appear! Don't forget to drop me a line by email at versilleus@gmail.com with your comments, questions‚ recommended resources‚ concerns‚ & especially your experiences with clusters. Or come find me on my Facebook Profile to add me as a Friend. Whether you are a supporter‚ care-giver or sufferer. I would love to hear from you!

*Please do not use this information for self diagnoses. Writing about my experiences with chronic cluster headaches & epilepsy is a good outlet for me. Consult your Dr. with any kind of headache or chronic pain you may have. The 3rd party links on my site I have found to be a good resource to me over the past few years & dearly hope they will benefit you as well.*


[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?